Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Next Steps...


Hey guys,

It feels like it’s been forever since I last updated. Life’s been busy with my friend’s wedding this past weekend and the week prior was my group’s Final presentation at the North Campus Research Complex (NCRC). I’m happy to say that the presentation went well! The grueling 3 hour meetings late into the evening to plan and prep helped immensely as our group walked out relatively unscathed from the barrage of questions from our Alzheimer's-Depression presentation for the senior clinical researchers, coordinators, and PI’s present in the audience.

Here is a picture of my awesome team.


Dr. Charles Burant, aka Chuck, if you’re reading this, thank you, thank you again for your dedication to mentoring our group. You definitely lead us, pushed us, and your experience with writing research grants helped us immensely as we were able to correctly predict what type of questions the audience were going to ask before the actual presentation. We were well prepared. Also, your enthusiasm is a rarity and I hardly see anyone who loves their job more.

Yesterday was my last day at the Taubman General Medicine clinic. I’ve reached the quota of patients and now shift my research responsibility focus into data entry and writing. I have over 200 surveys that I need to input into an Excel spreadsheet, then play around with the SPSS statistical software, and finally see what data I’ve obtained. Then I’ll write an abstract (due in a week, another deadline!), my report (what findings did I make/observe?) and finally make a poster of my results! I’m also hoping to write a paper and get it published, and have my own imprint in the science literature world (there’s something cool about contributing to knowledge). I’m excited because this will be my first poster, abstract, and report and I have BIG VISIONS for all.

I actually ran into a Psychiatry resident friend at my church a few Sundays ago, and told him the type of research I’ve been working on all summer. He was interested in what I’ve seen so far and my future results. He explained that at the psych clinic where he works, the doctors have been telling their patients about the inexpensive generic medication programs but they don’t know if their patients have actually utilized them. This is where my research can help. I will have REAL DATA to show how many patients (in general) have actually utilized an inexpensive generic medication program when the physicians or pharmacists tell their patients about such a program during their clinic visit. (As I blogged earlier, the Taubman General Medicine clinic doctors have informed their patients as well.) This research study could potentially open up more research opportunities, in that if we find that monetary reasons are not the reason why patients are not compliant in taking their medicine, then there must be some other variable that we are not aware of and need to investigate further. In fact, this outcomes report, I HOPE to distribute to ALL the physicians and pharmacists at the Taubman outpatient clinics at the University of Michigan Hospitals as well as the geriatric clinics who might benefit from reading the study.

The study may affect the way physicians/pharmacists practice to help their patients become more compliant in taking their medications, with the overall goal of seeing their heaths improve. I talked to Dr. Erickson about it recently, and what we’re doing this summer could potentially be an intermediate outcome (medication compliance), with the long term outcome being the overall health improvement of patients utilizing a generic inexpensive program. To monitor improvements in the patient's health we can obtain information from their charts and monitor their numbers (cholesterol, hA1c levels, blood pressure, etc). I would then try to get it published and possibly show how a physician/pharmacists intervention actually led to better health outcomes and that it can be implemented at hospital nationwide. Not bad from an idea that came from a summer research project.

Last thoughts on my time at the Taubman General Medicine Clinic: I’m grateful for the experience. It’s been a while since I’ve talked to real patients, and heard their burdens with their diseases, medications, and the U. S. health care system. Too often during the school year I’m just trying to survive my classes that I forget the reason why I went into health care – and that is to improve the lives of patients in a definite way. I’m also grateful for this summer experience because I got a chance to learn more about the state of Michigan (I’m from California). I constantly met retirees from the auto industry at the clinic and saw how important the auto industry is for Michigan residents and this made the recent downhill in the car industry more impactful to my life.

Finally, I ran into a Michigan Senator at clinic! Unbeknownst to me at the time, I asked Michigan Senator Robert Patterson to participate in my research. And after I found out he was a Senator, we got to talk about an assortment of topics before he was called in. We talked about the recent Michigan election, his thoughts on the recent (and future) health care reform, living a public life, and how hostile politics have become recently. Unfortunately he was called in before I could talk about ways that Pharmacists can be used to improve the health care delivery and system. But I did get a chance to take a photo with him and got his business card. This is one bridge I certainly want to continue building!



No comments:

Post a Comment