Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Allegiance Health

My name is Kristen Tedders and I am a proud member of the COP Class of 2012, also known as a P4-elect (with the current P4 class still not graduated, I think it’s only fair to think of myself with this title). I am returning to Allegiance Health, a hospital in Jackson, MI (formerly known as Foote Hospital) for my second summer in a row. After working in the IV room and OR pharmacy satellite last year, I am currently being trained in the Emergency Room pharmacy.

Working down here can either be incredibly hectic or pretty laid back, you never know what the day will bring. The pharmacist and technician (or in my case, intern) will service the ER by making IVs throughout the shift as they are needed for the patient and delivering them and medications directly to the room (as most are needed STAT). They must also be prepared for emergency angios, strokes, codes, and a number of other situations that can happen at any time. Along with these inpatient services, I also deal with outpatient ER patients and their prescriptions. Throughout my 8-hour afternoon shift, we can fill anywhere from 20-60 prescriptions. While this may not seem like much, patients always seem to come in bulks of 5-10 at a time, so that when you are filling prescriptions for one, there is always a line behind them. Add to this the constant need for IVs to be made and delivered, things can easily get pretty busy!

Throughout the last 4 days I have been training (with the aid of a very knowledgeable technician!) and everything has been pretty laid back. I will soon be working my own, with a pharmacist also in the pharmacy with me, in a couple days and I am fully expecting to experience my first wildedly busy day when I am all on my own. Not to worry though, just remember: the needs of patients in the ER come first. Don’t be afraid to politely tell those waiting for prescriptions to be filled that it may be a little bit of a wait if there is a lot going on! And always remember, remaining calm under high stress situations will make things go by much smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment