Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hello. My name is Jennifer. I'm a P2. My internship this summer is right here in Ann Arbor. I work with the Pharmacy Group in Clinical Systems Management in Medical Center Information Technology at the University of Michigan Health System--for short, MCIT-Rx. I have been part of the team since last May. There are seven of us. I'm the only student and everyone else is a full-time employee. They are Pete, Rob, Todd, Robin, Russ, and Rick, our boss and the only licensed pharmacist. We are situated in the heart of the Pharmacy Department in the University Hospital, down on level B2. Scroll to the bottom of this post for some photos. These IT folks are quite photogenic.

IT folks are also team players. Our agenda is always full and we constantly juggle multiple projects. Pete is our expert for WORx, the inpatient pharmacy management system. Robin and Russ support Omnicells, dispensing machines scattered throughout the hospital that nurses use for easy medication retrieval. Todd is our web developer and database man. Rob works with the Robot, an automated drug packing machine, and QS1, the outpatient pharmacy management system. Rick, our leader and ambassador to pharmacy management and MCIT, oversees our projects. Me? I dabble in a little bit of everything. I support IT support. It's important to point out that these are merely some of the roles each person takes on. We do much more to support our pharmacy and there are overlaps in our duties. For example, someone has to be "on call" 24/7, and the full-time members of our team (everyone except I) take turns to be that popular person. At one point last semester, I wanted to volunteer for this role once summer comes around, just to experience that wonderful feeling of being wanted by nurses, pharmacists, hospital staff, etc., during all hours of day and night. But, now that school's over, I think I'm actually reconsidering. Not sure why...

So, there you go. The first installment of six (a sextet!), documenting my experience with MCIT this summer. The photos I mentioned earlier aren't ready yet, but I'll post this anyway. ¡Happy Cinco de Mayo! Stay tuned for photos of my team, coming next week.

[edit 5/9] Here are the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment