Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The VAluable lessons of my VA Internship

Hello everybody. My name is Matt Wolf, an incoming P4. This summer I am working at the VA Ann Arbor Hospital. My official government title is Student Pharmacy Tech (VALOR). The VALOR program offers an opportunity for pharmacy students to develop competencies in pharmacy practice settings such as inpatient and outpatient pharmacy. It also provides exposure to management practices and clinical pharmacy services, such as anticoagulation, critical care, and discharge counseling. I spend most of my time working with Dr. Greg Schepers, the Residency Program Director.

I have been at the VA for a little over a week and they have been keeping me very busy. I have had opportunities to report adverse drug events to the FDA, update the residency recruitment poster for the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, and draft standard operating procedures. I am also in the process of developing an informational website for potential pharmacy residents.

It is going to be a great summer filled with exciting opportunities. Having the chance to take care of veterans is a truly rewarding experience. They have sacrificed so much for us and this is a chance to give back to them. I look forward to keeping you all posted on the VAluable lessons I learn this summer at the VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment