Monday, June 14, 2010

IPSF-SEP at Portugal, part 1

Bon Dia!
I was warmly welcomed to the University of Coimbra in Portugal with a kiss on each cheek by Miss Francisca, the local exchange officer for IPSF-SEP program. My first day, Francisca showed me around campus, including the Old University area which is one of the oldest Universities in Europe, dating back 500 years! This University used to be the home and school for the Kings of Portugal. It remains as one of the major academic institutes in Portugal and has become a major site for culturally-inspired tourists. In fact, I have never been at a university where tour buses and groups are here everyday snapping photos of the campus and its gorgeous views as it sits on top of the hill, surrounded by a river. Just in the one week I have been here, I saw tour groups from Italy, Portugal, England, and even Japan and China.
In addition to the strong culture and history that is embedded in this "Land of Love" (Coimbra), the best part about my time here, so far, is the research project I am working on. The pharmacy faculty I have been paired with is Dr. Gabriela Jorge da Silva. She is extremely cute and hip... and very knowledgeable about her area of expertise: microbiology, bacteriology, antibiotics, and antibiotic resistance.
Because of my previous laboratory research experience at UCLA and interest to continue translational research, I chose and was placed at this University. As a P1 I have not yet learned about antibiotics and Abx resistance.. so in order to do the lab research, I started desperately reading for a basic understanding of different antibiotics, criteria for resistance and mechianisms, Class 1 Integrons, and pathogenicity groups.

More about the Portuguese. They love their cafes (espressos). Actually, espressos are enjoyed all over Europe! And I can say that because I have been to 5 European countries in the past month and sipped on aromatic espressos with the French, Germans, Italians, Spanish, and the Portuguese... and the coffees get better and better (and cheaper and cheaper!).

Francisca told me immediately that the Portuguese always have coffee after a meal, and usually at a different location for a change of scenery. So I had lunch with several research professors followed by a helping from their Pharmacy faculty Coffee Heaven cabinet. The top shelf has chocolates; the next shelf holds each person's own espresso cup; the third shelf the red NEspresso machine ( famous for the series of commercials featuring the suave George Clooney); and, on the bottom shelf, as you might be able to spot, several bottles of port wine. Maybe we will have some one day if I am able to characterize some virulence factors and pathogenecicity island groups to the Portuguese E.coli I am studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment