Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My First Three Weeks: A Recap


I spent a few days in my hometown after finishing exams, then packed up the car and headed down to our nation's capital to start my second summer with Walgreens in the DC area. Walgreens is relatively new to the DC/Northern VA/MD area, so they have lots of new stores opening in the district. They have seven pharmacies opening in the next two months alone! So it's not surprising that my first week of work entailed stocking the shelves and vacuuming the floors of one of these brand new pharmacies. The store's pharmacy manager, a technician and I stocked the pharmacy and whipped it into opening shape in just two days, leaving me three free days.

I spent those days preparing for another big move as my fiancé and I purchased our first new home in an up and coming area in southeast DC. After that, free time was spent enjoying sports around town. We had a kickball game by the Washington Monument and a Volleyball game in the shade of the Lincoln Memorial.

Week two and three at Walgreens have been a little slow prescription-wise. We've averaged about seven scripts a day. That has left plenty of time for counseling patients and special projects. I spent a few afternoons running a blood pressure screening table. I enjoyed having an opportunity to interact with patients and practice taking BPs.

My adventures at Walgreens are coming to an end for the summer. In a last minute turn of events, I will be changing jobs. Wendy Perry, a UofM COP alumnus helped me secure an intern position at the hospital she works at, Washington Hospital Center. The details of the position have not been ironed out yet, but I am sure it will be a great learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment