Sunday, June 6, 2010

Somewhere between tech and pharmacist...

This summer I am continuing my internship at Sinai Grace Hospital part of the Detroit Medical Center. For those who don't know I would say it's located in inner city Detroit. It's not a huge hospital but because it is mid sized there are opportunities to work in different areas that are separate in big hospitals and non existent in smaller hospitals. We have our own technicians for the neonatal intensive care unit, the operating room, narcotics as well as the Emergency Department. We also have the regular IV room and delivery (which Margo says she likes, but I do not).

On the weekends I usually work in the OR and that is probably my favorite area. There is a satellite pharmacy up there and while there is a lot of running around you move at your own pace and it's a different experience than the other areas. I also like the NICU mostly because it's similar to the OR and sometimes it's really nice to see that the babies are progressing and it's nice to see them with their parents or siblings occasionally. Basically in the OR and NICU, it's more visible that you are in your own little way helping people.

Since I've been trained in all the areas, right now there is not a lot to learn. Right now I am basically functioning as a technician doing what they will do but I am hoping to get shadowing and project experience later in the summer. Basically I don't have too much to share right now but hopefully I continue my learning experience and have more to post later this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment