Monday, June 28, 2010

The MCRiT Experience






Hey guys,

Summer is definitely flying by and I have been busy with life, research, and hanging out that I haven't been able to do my part in contributing to the COP blog. This summer I've been blessed to be a participant in the Multidisciplinary Clinical Researchers in Training (MCRiT) program offered by the University of Michigan for doctoral Pharmacy, Medical, Dental, and Nursing students. The program is a total of 12 weeks, in which 10 are dedicated for the summer and 2 during the fall semester. It's already the 5th week and I have lots to update!

What's really cool about MCRiT is that you get to experience how research truly is a multidisciplinary process. From the onset during orientation, the other pharmacy students and myself participating in MCRiT were alarmed to be welcomed by our own Dean Welage!!! Not only is Dean Welage awesome in the College of Pharmacy, she's also actively involved (and a big fish) at the department that oversees major research going on at UOfM. She coordinated the Basics of Clinical Research seminar ( ie what is Clinical/Translational Research, intro to IRB, Informed Consent, etc). The audience was filled to capacity with people involved in research from multiple departments at UofM for example: clinical study coordinators, research administrators, post-doc fellows, etc. To be honest, a lot of the material was over our heads because a lot dealt with research policies and protocols at Michigan that are common for research which we haven't had a lot of experience with. But it was still awesome to be there, and to enjoy the complimentary meal -- i mean network session!

Essentially, the summer MCRiT practicum is a program composed of 3 core objectives: 1. Participate in a research project under a mentor doing ongoing research. I'm working with Dr. Erickson, and we're doing a cross-sectional study on patients and their pharmacy behaviors at the General Medicine clinic at Taubman Medical Center. Above is a picture of me of what a typical day at clinic involves. Professional attire, writing utensil, and clip board on hand. Ready to engage and recruit patients into the study!

I'll end it right here, but I'll conclude by saying how much MCRiT has opened my eyes (and have made me excited) for research. I never experienced how difficult it could be to enroll patients into a study, and I now understand why there are flyers advertising cash incentives to participate in psych studies. I'll update soon about the other objectives of MCRiT and more stories, but if anyone has any questions about the program, send an e-mail to me at : cqtruong@umich.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment