Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Oh yeah, that changed too...

When starting my second year as an intern at the University of Michigan inpatient pharmacies I figured everything would come back quickly and I wouldn't have any problems. Well I remembered how to do everything, but the old way. The phrase "Oh yeah, that changed," has been a common one since starting back.


At the hospital I work in the inpatient satellite pharmacies as a technician with benefits. The benefits being once weekly intern meetings where I get to interact with my supervisors and learn more about the hospital. My work includes making IVs and filling unit dose orders to be sent out to each of the nursing units every hour on the hour. This was the same work that I did all last summer except now there are some new procedures to get used to. For example, UMHS changed their narcotic protocol so that we have a better idea of where all of our narcotics go and who has them in their possession each step of way. This isn't very difficult but takes time to get used to. The delivery is my favorite part because the hospital is so large it takes 15 minutes sometimes to complete a run so it's like killing two birds with one stone because I get to exercise while working.


Overall, the position has not been too exciting thus far. Without the H1N1 patients, things have been a little slow. I suppose this is good so I have the time to get use to the changes made while I was at school. Soon I will be shadowing some pharmacists and starting on some projects. Once those come up I'll keep you updated on the fun facts I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment