Monday, July 12, 2010

The Middle

You know those days when you are just so tired from running (some days literally) around at work all day that you don't want to really do anything that requires much thought? Well I'm like frequently, hence my lack in blogs. However, I have tomorrow off so I will start my 24 hours of productivity (hopefully) with a blog post.

I am still a glorified technician at the UM hospital but I have had some new opportunities and some realizations that I would like to share!

1. I.D. is not for me: I had the opportunity to shadow one of the infectious disease pharmacists at the university. While the job I'm sure is quite interesting for some, it was not particularly interesting for me that day. We listened to medical students give updates on the patients and as a group we (I didn't say a peep) discussed them. The pharmacist we were with also didn't have anything to say regarding these patients. Maybe it was just an off day...I hope. Either way, when we went to see the patients after the discussion, they were mainly in the ICU's and we weren't really involved in speaking to them or even listening to them. I need some interaction! I am grateful for this opportunity, and the pharmacist was very nice and informational...but it's like the book He's just not that into you, except it's me and deals with an area of pharmacy...hmm...

2. Cancer is sad: Well duh Margo! I actually really enjoyed this shadowing experience and I think that if I had chosen to go on it after I had actually learned about medications used in cancer it would have been 10x more interesting. If I could do it over I would have waited but you have to take pie while pie's passing. This shadow allowed me to see all types of patients from those just beginning radiation to those that have been treated for some time. The problem was that my heart just ached the entire time. Maybe I'm just a big baby, but to see those people worried about if they can make it to their daughter's wedding or asking when they can get out of the hospital just made me so sad. Overall, it was interesting and touching. The pharmacist also had a lot of input and the staff really looked to her for help and suggestions. I found that promising because I feel like the role of a pharmacist can be up in the air sometimes.

3. Old to new, new to old: On my psych shadow today I heard two different statements. The first from the patient that she wanted to return to her old self. The second from the pharmacist that she liked her position because over the course of the patients stay, she is able to see them leave a completely new person. Very interesting! This was probably my favorite shadow so far (although I might have to sleep on it). I enjoyed it because I actually had an idea of the medications that were discussed (thank goodness I actually remembered some of them), and there was more interaction with the patients. When rounding we actually discussed their feelings instead of just what hurt and what other tests they had to get done. The pharmacist I was with said that she could have as much interaction as time would allow with the patients and once a week (when possible) she has her own session with a group of patients to talk about their medications and they get to ask her questions about them. How cool is that? A controlled setting, no phones ringing or other patients waiting, not stepping on nursing toes... sounds like a pharmacy dream.

4. You down with TOD? Yeah you know me: TOD = Tech on Demand = pretty sweet spot unless there are call-ins. Too bad there are always call-ins. When the interns are TOD we are allowed to work on "projects." These range from counseling transplant patients (lucky bum P4's), to writing up a training document for new hires (me). So far this year I have completed two projects. The first was the training document for new hires, this document is to standardize the processes for technicians in the satellite pharmacies. It includes everything from getting into the omnicell (machine that contains drugs) to expiration dates on oral syringes (yes, that somehow varied). It was a good project for the beginning of the summer because it brought me up to speed (for the most part) on anything that had changed and reminded me how to do things I had forgotten. My second project was actually like a part 2 of the first. Hold onto your hats ladies and gents, I typed and checked over our desensitization protocols. This is for when a patient is allergic to a medication but needs to be used so we titrated the dose little by little until they are at the therapeutic dose. Many of these documents were previously hand-written and those that were typed were in different styles, so being the twit that I am sometimes, I made sure that they now matched. Yep, very exciting. I'm officially a part of the "Michigan Difference" with these.

5. Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me: Nope, I was not featured on the NPR program but I'm going to play a "Bluff the Listener" with those of you who are actually still reading to part number 5 (Good for you by the way, come see me and I'll get you a prize).
Here goes, You choose the correct project that I will be starting on this week. Is it....?
a. Margo will be going through all of the policies, starting with 85.00 (Smallpox Standing Orders) and re-numbering them through 400.07 (Investigational Drugs used in Compassionate Cases) because one of the policies had since been deleted.
b. Margo will be meeting with waste management vendors in order to decide the new colors and types of bins used for various recycling, glass, trash, and sharps.
c. Margo will be taking apart the bottom of shelving units in the satellites to collect and record all of the drugs that have fallen through the cracks or were swept under the shelves.

Answer to follow.

Dear Pharmacy Phriends and Phamily, I hope this long (probably too long) blog makes up for my lack of previous blogs.

Well Carl Kasell, what's the correct answer? You guessed it, the answer was b (If you got it right some see me and you'll get two prizes...as long as supplies last). I will fill you in on all of the gory details of waste management as soon as I get them...and am willing/able to write about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment