Monday, July 19, 2010

“We represent more than ourselves.”

“We represent more than ourselves.” My preceptor's words reminded me of partially why I have been so determined to get this internship.

During P1 year, I was very excited to learn about Public Health Service pharmacists through a class project assigned by Dr. Gaither. During P2 year, I was assigned to an IHS site in Arizona but did not end up going due to personal circumstances. During P3 year, I reapplied to JRCOSTEP, because I knew it would be an experience I would not forget.

A notion of admiration and gratitude welled up when my preceptor discussed with me the expectations bestowed on a Commissioned Corps officer. Unlike civil service pharmacists who are evaluated on conduct and performance, Commissioned Corps pharmacists are evaluated on character and performance. We then discussed the meaning of character, which can be summed up as:

Character: /kærɪktər/ noun; upholding one's integrity and doing what is right even when no one is around, even under pressure, and even when no one else is doing it

The Commissioned Corps pharmacists are evaluated differently from other pharmacists because they represent more than themselves and more than the pharmacy profession. They are working at the front lines of health promotion for our country, providing services whenever and wherever necessary. Victims of the earthquake in Haiti, prisoners isolated from society, and Native Americans on reservations have all benefited from their contributions. Their willingness to take on these responsibilities is definitely worth noting.

“This is why I want to be here,” I told him.

“We’re happy to have you,” he replied.

On a side note...

At the local Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, I came upon this quote...

I’m continuously fascinated by the rich culture of the Native American people, exemplified by their pottery, jewelry, dances... all of which I had the pleasure of witnessing this weekend. Below is a snapshot of the "Buffalo Dance" by the Cellicion Traditional Zuni Dancers.

No comments:

Post a Comment