Thursday, July 8, 2010

My first week in Barcelona

Hola a todos!!!!

I am currently in Barcelona through the SEP program of IPSF. Barcelona is a beautiful and exciting city. It is however EXTREMELY hot and humid!! I don´t think I have been properly dry since I got here (gross but true). It feels as though you are melting into the pavement. At night, it´s not much better...maybe a little cooler but it is still too hot for any covers. My flat, that I share with 5 other exchange students, is in a so called "posh" neighborhood, according to the locals. It is not far from the city center by metro...about 15-20 minutes.
I am the only American here this month for the program. In total there are roughly 15 of us: 3 polish, 1 egyptian, 3 hungarians, 1 brazilian, 1 dutch, 2 slovenians, 2 indonesians, 1 slovakian, 1 canadian, 1 turkish....I think that is all. Needless to say it´s been a lot of fun getting to know everyone and talking to them about their different countries and pharmacy school. In Europe they graduate high school and immediately enter pharmacy school. In total, it is 5 years but it includes many of the courses we take in undergrad. Most of them are between 20 and 22 and in their final years of school. There was a new law passed in Europe regarding the school system but I am not quite sure what it is but all of them will finish school under the old system - whatever that may be.

**some of the artwork on the beach, Barceloneta**

I chose to come to Barcelona because I love the Spanish language. I took it in high school and college but I never had the opportunity to practice it on a regular basis. Most of what I learned is gone since I´ve been out of high school for ages or at least it seems that way. Some things are coming back. There is no better way to work on rusty Spanish than being thrown into Barcelona. Trying to speak and understand Spanish has been exhausting. It is extremely tiring trying to explain yourself in such a way that everyone can understand you. I think my English has gotten a bit worse since I have been here....is it obvious?? And to mix things up some more, the people in Barcelona speak Catalan which is a mix of Spanish and French (at least to me). Their words are similar to Castillian Spansih but disimilar enough that it is confusing. They are very proud of being Catalan and many have expressed that I should work on my Catalan and not on my Castillian Spanish....one thing at a time.


**the first ones to arrive...on top of El Tibidabo**
I work in a pharmacy right in front of the "Catedral de Barcelona" (It is very close to La Rambla if you have ever heard of that). I work Monday-Friday from 9 to about 12 or 1. As of right now I am not helping any of the patients; I would just confuse them and myself. One thing that is new and interesing in my pharmacy is they have a robot that delivers the drugs from downstairs to be dispensed upstairs. Exciting, no?


**Barceloneta**

As all of you (should) know, el Mundial (world cup) is currently being played in South Africa and Spain is in the final versus the Netherlands!!! They will play this Sunday. Viva EspaƱa!!
AND for my fellow shoppers this is a great time to be in Spain. During the entire month almost every store has rebajas (sales). It is a little insane....everywhere you go: rebajas, rebajas, rebajas!!!
Hasta la proxima vez (until next time),
Kaleena

















































1 comment:

  1. viva Catalan! Since most of the futbol players on the Espana team are Catalan and from BCN! You are so lucky to be there right now! I miss it! But yes, the rebajas/rebaixes.. I am glad I am no longer there otherwise I will be in even deeper debt.

    oh yes, another great thing about SEP in Europe is you can get a good deal for traveling to different countries if you´re lucky!

    ReplyDelete